Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Talent on Tivo, Calling in Church

I've seen so many churches mortgage their future for the benefit of the present. When saying this, people might think I'm thinking in terms of cash money but I'm not. I'm talking mortgaging their relational culture influence in the future for high impact ministry gimmicks. For whatever reason, time and time again, ministry leaders are wowed by talent when we live in a day and time where I believe talent is in large supply. Talent isn't as wowing to me any more. I'm more impressed with character, integrity, and a sense of having an authority. As far as talent is concerned, you show me a good singer, a good guitar player, I'll show you someone who is equally good or better down the road. It isn't like people don't have mass access to personal coaches, books on "how to" and instructionals on everything from picking your nose to flicking boogers, on youtube. If you want to be talented at something and have any bit of natural aptitude, we live in a society that can get you there, promote you, record you, track you, highlight you, get you a great portfolio, develop your resume', etc. You live in a day when talent & skill is all around us. And for whatever reason, churches who have been hanging in the 60's, are still attracted to the next "show" when they can TIVO some great entertainment. Please, don't go to church to be entertained. And those who are eager to grow their churches, will employ talent to attract others. Sure, talent within music ministry is nice. I hate non-quality as far as execution goes within church worship. It can be very distracting to have someone who keeps missing the key or note every verse. But I've seen time and time again, church leaders putting ultra talented people on the stage, to either speak or sing, or play an instrument without any consideration to who or where these people are spiritually. These people can show up hung over to a worship set and go ahead and "lead worship." Really. Yeah. It happened. Some how, the individuals overseeing the worship within a church, was so focused on the "quality control" of things that a man who was very competent at his instrument was able to show up to worship one Sunday and lead until he passed out on stage. And you know what one leader had the gall to say. "Well, at least he's at church." Are you kidding me. WOW. WOW. I love the lost. I love the hurting. I love messy Christianity. I love reaching those who are hurting. Those who can't help themselves. Those who are broken and have no where else to turn. WHy? Because I see myself in them. I've been broken. I've been depressed. I've had no where to turn. I've had seasons in my past of sinful lifestyle. But, I'll tell ya what. If someone were to put me on a stage and say, "you're part of a worship team" while I was going through those periods of my life with open sin, I would've learned something that God is not trying to tell anyone. If you put someone on stage primarily because of their talent without any regard to where they are spiritually, you know what you are communicating to those people? "What you do, is more important than who you are." And you better believe that, YOU as a leader, if this describes you, You believe this deep down in your subconscious. Because, if you didn't, you WOULD NOT ALLOW THIS. You are also communicating that God does not have any ideals. Yeah, God chose the down and contrite. He chose those the world said were "sinners." He chose to hang out with them, but didn't make them leaders in his church. And if He did EVENTUALLY, they repented. I think what is more attractive these days, and harder to come by is character and integrity; NOT TALENT. I think the world is looking for a church willing to stand up for what's right and give them an ideal. I think they're looking for a standard. I think they'd be attracted to that. Talent is all over. Having standards isn't. I think many churches are mortgaging their future by putting leaders up front who have moral failings. And it's us leaders who are doing it, not them. We're the ones putting them up there, allowing them to take the stage. You know what we're doing every time we allow someone to stand up front and represent our church? We're putting a huge target on them, right at the center of their chest for Satan to pick them off. And if Satan is smart, he'll give that church some success and the church will call it a "blessing." "OH, what a blessing. Look at what God is doing. We're growing so fast. Wow, we must be doing everything right." We'll grow from 100 to 400 within 6 months and we'll get an article written about us about being cutting edge and on the leading front of ministry. And then right when are heads swell just enough and we buy into the whole talent over character deal, he exposes it for what it is. Someone has an affair, get's caught dealing drugs, doing drugs, molesting a child, whatever and then everyone in that church is a victim. YEAH, the good ol' days were there when we had the numbers and everything was filled with charisma. But was it worth it. NO. You mortgaged your future for the present. You went for short term talent and gain verses long term integrity and reward. We must return to faith. Being faithful. What is being faithful within this topic?

It is faithful to value integrity. It is faithful to not allow the ultra talented guitar player up on stage when you know he or she is dealing with sin and you also know that if you do, a lot of people will be attracted to it. I know it's tempting. It's faithful when you don't allow that guy to speak when you know that his charisma is so contagious. And it's faithful not to regret these actions. To know that you have chosen what is better. To truly see that promoting a pure spirit is more important than promoting talent and skill.


What you have to believe in, is this: That God's gospel is attractive enough, without the help of talent, to attract the multitudes of those who need Him. The difficulty in this is that in order for the gospel message to be the entity that attracts the multitudes, people have to be able to perceive it lived out in your leadership and your congregation. And for many churches, that's just too difficult. They know that that is REAL, and REAL HARD. Just like everything else though; Nothing good comes easy.

The church I'm at has been tempted to take the easy road so many times. Hire a guitarist. Hire a lead singer. Hire a speaker. Hire talent. Hire talent. Hire talent. And all along, God has been screaming out, I'm enough. I'm enough. I'm enough. I'm enough. Trust me. I will provide. I will call someone to lead you. I will CALL them. And trust me when I say this, "calling has a much greater impact than a hired mercenary." Someone who is hired to fight YOUR battles for you will only fight so hard. BUT, someone who is fighting his own battle through a calling, because God has linked this persons heart to your battle as his own, will give everything. Churches; take faith, and trust. Trust that if you are following HIM, and preaching HIS gospel message, HE will provide everything and everyone you need. HE will also remove those who oppose you and get in the way of the mission. TAKE FAITH. BE HEARTENED. Don't sell out. Don't mortgage your churches future for temporary talent. And if you see people in your church doing so, gently correct them, but in the end, make sure that they do not make these fatal errors for your church. Pray for them. And if God is moving in you enough, maybe He is stirring you to "BE the Change," and lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.